Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Letter "B"

Who knew a simple letter sound could be so glorious?  I've never been concerned about the rate of speed with which my children reached milestones.  I know you all will grow and learn in your own time.  But knowing that you could be learning to pronounce some consonant sounds soon has had me anxious to hear your little voice.  Most of your noises up until now have been either guttural, like grunts and growls, or like blowing raspberries or wild squeals.  (This isn't entirely true...you do jabber.  But just no repeated consonant sounds yet.)  Just yesterday, as you were blowing bubbles through your pursed lips, I told your sister that I thought you were on the threshold of uttering letter sounds.  And then, while I was busy cooking dinner on the grill, you did it.  You started out blowing raspberries, but then it turned into "Ba ba ba ba."  Fortunately, Daddy was a quick thinker and he caught some video on his phone.  He even caught you saying something that sounded a lot like "mama"...just sayin'.  I'm so proud and excited to know you are well on your way to being able to communicate.  Just wow!


Getting so big.
Last week was daddy's birthday.  I am positive that you were aware of the fact that I was rushing around, wrapping gifts, buying a special lunch, trying to pull of a special dinner and some homemade (peanut butter & chocolate- his favorite) cupcakes, make sure the house was nice and clean & not look like I was the hired help in the process.  You are still quite attached to me and it doesn't make days like this any easier.  But all in all, I think he had a nice day.  And you were pretty amazed by the candles.  Check out the cool shot I got of them being blown out.


Don't worry, Daddy's not four.  I just didn't have thirty-four candles.
You also met your arch nemesis last week.  This pudgy little baby doll is obviously a threat to you.  Apparently you want to hold onto your title as the reigning smallest cutie in the house.


Sure, you look all cute and innocent.  But that baby doll is about to get it.
If anybody asks, you didn't see anything.  Okay?
Take that, new baby.
I eat babies like you for breakfast.
Let's just say I'm glad we aren't expecting anymore babies!


Thursday night was also the parents' viewing night at Sydney's dance class.  She has been taking ballet and tap for three years now and she's quite good.  And I'm not just saying that because she's my kid.  This is the second year she's been invited to join her age group's performance team.  When they're little, like her, the performance team doesn't compete.  They just perform several exhibition shows throughout the year.  It's a small, invitation-only group, decided by the teachers (and her teacher is the studio owner).  The stage experience would be very helpful, but it means taking two, maybe three, classes instead of one, buying several costumes, not to mention the gas back and forth for the extra classes and performances.  It could get pricey.  I'd hate for that to be the reason to deny her though.  We might not have to worry about it.  She has been asking to play soccer next fall instead of dance.  We would never force her to dance.  Or play a sport.  I'd like to see her try some new things also.  We'll see what next year holds.


I wonder if you'll be a dancer, too, little Finnlee.
Tiny tapper.
We may or may not be playing dress-up with you regularly now.  I'm not going to confirm or deny anything.


Baby genius.
Summer brights.
I swear, since uttering your first consonants yesterday, you seem to be determined to speed up this learning thing.  You also have been trying to feed yourself with a spoon (including a measuring spoon I gave you to play with).  You've also been big-time into shaking your head "no."  I am trying so hard to teach you what it means without you thinking that I'm telling you to stop.  You seem to find it hilarious though.  I think you think you're teaching me how to do it instead of the other way around.  You just seem bigger to me.  More aware.  More understanding.  Like you're figuring out this world around you.  Half of me wants to tell you to slow down.  And half of me can't wait to see what's coming next.  Bring it on, baby.  Bring it on.  But do it slowly, please.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! baby finnlee! so cute! and gosh I love that pictures with her in the glasses! it's adorable! And I am dying to see a picture of your new amazing couch you scored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! We have too much fun dressing this poor kid up. The couch is the same as in my posts. I've had an issue with the tufting...the buttons are on "hooks" and come out. I've had to remove most of them because I don't want the baby to choke on them (that's why it looks a little saggy on the seam. The tufting pulled the upholstery taught.). I'll have them replaced once she's past the "putting everything in her mouth" stage. Add it to the list of "things I never considered."

      Delete