Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Breakin'

What is it about Spring Break that is so sweet?  I guess because the last "big" holiday we had was anything but restful, even with time off from school.  Spring Break is sandwiched neatly between the hectic holiday season and the sticky days of summer vacation.  Perfectly positioned to be a welcome reprieve from backpacks and packed lunches, but not so drawn out as to wear out its welcome.  It doesn't hurt that the weather is usually pretty stellar this time of year.  Any season that allows me to open the windows is okay by me.  (Full disclosure: not all of these pictures are from actual Spring Break.  I can't even remember when it was at this point.  But they are all Spring-Break-ish.)

"Painting the Music" (Thank you, Nuria!  http://theadventuresarchive.com/ )


The very picture of spring!

The weather couldn't make up its mind.
  
Showing your true colors.

Here's to longer days!
 We did finally get to the park for Sydney's "street performance", but I think she was a bit disappointed that she didn't actually raise any money.  To be fair, she didn't exactly have a sign or anything to indicate what she was up to.  Just an upside down hat and a guitar.  But she looked cute, and her intentions were good.  


Your indie-rocker sister.

She's got the melancholy, "girl with a guitar" thing down.

Alternating between blowing and eating the bubbles.

The best part: Just laying down in the shade together.



One last spin on the tire swing before we had to go.
Spring also signals the return of regular beach visits.  The combination of mild weather and the eventual dwindling down of the snowbirds makes it enjoyable once again.  I knew that even though your first sunset of the season was far your first beach experience, that it would feel that way since you couldn't possibly remember last year's visits.  And, in a  way, it was even better because this time you were fully aware of the uniqueness of your surroundings.  As I had anticipated, you were in awe of all of that sand and water.  It was as if you didn't know which you wanted to do more: dig your fingers and toes in the cool sand or run headfirst into the waves.  You chose a little of both, but ultimately the water won.  It was as if those waves were magnetic and you were hopelessly metallic.  The gulf is cold this time of year, but that didn't stop you from getting soaked up to your knees!


Your first "toes in the sand" moment in quite a while.

I think your face says it all.  You could get used to this.

Surveying the scene.

I love the light a setting sun casts on my babies.

Holding on tight.  Daddy, that is.  Not so much you.  You would've been in that water if he had let go.

Your "King of the World" moment.

Irresistible.


Dodging the waves.
 Another thing I'm loving about being your momma is watching you enjoy the outdoors.  There is something so very wild and free about your little spirit.  You are an explorer at heart, and I have no doubt that you could most likely survive on a deserted island, even now.  You scavenge and hunt and examine with the best of them.  I never tire of showing you ant mounds, bird's nests, spider webs, fragrant flowers, veiny leaves, interesting clouds and raindrops.  All of which are still new to you.  Even indoors, you insist on breaking boundaries and charting new territory.  Yesterday you learned to open doors.  (Great.)  Today, dad built a new bench to go by the front door.  It has a lower shelf for backpacks and lunchboxes, but you saw it as a climbing opportunity.  I suppose that since today is the day that you overcame your fear of the playground tunnels, you figured that tunneling through the new Ikea bench was the next logical step.  You got only a little bit stuck and clapped for yourself like you'd made a slam dunk once you were free.  It's hard not to be proud.  Watching you on the playground today was eye-opening.  We had the place to ourselves, and you were a big kid.  Like an official, full-blown kid.  You scaled the climby thing to the second story, rode down the slide with almost no help and- yes- mastered the tunnel.  Big kid.  Wild child.  My baby.

Nature Babe

Yeah, I see you.

Classic Finn face.

Your hair these days is so flippy and adorable...it's killing me.

Seriously, kid.  Can't take much more of this perfection.

Sprite.
Spring Break was capped off by a most amazing meet-up at the beach with a few of the incredible families we've met on Instagram.  I cannot put into words just how great it is to talk to these ladies daily in such an abstract way and then finally to meet in person, and get to actually see these little ones that I have been adoring from afar, and watch them do the same for my girls.  True, the weather could've cooperated a bit more; it was freezing and unbelievably windy!  But weather issues aside, standing side-by-side with these three girls and their families, watching our babies playing together, beats a "like", hands down, any day of the week!

Did I mention that it was breezy?

Circle of Moms

The lady in the jacket back there had the right idea.

Sheltering babies from the cold.

Your sister was the crazy kid in the bikini.


This happened immediately after she cried for 20 minutes about how cold she was.
 
Crazy and beautiful.

Where we set up camp and tried not to blow away.

Just about the only time you were out of my arms.

And then the tears came.  Time to go!

I feel summer knocking at the door already.  I can just picture your sweet, sweaty head.  I'm sure we'll be spending quite a bit more time indoors, but I'm excited to see you learn to love the pool again, run through a sprinkler, wade in a wading pool and play in the rain.  I'm enjoying every pleasant day that this spring wants to throw our way.  Without a doubt, you are in agreement.  My little free-spirited explorer.
 

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing post Naomi! As I was reading I was thinking "Awww...this picture is my favourite...no, wait, this one! nooo wait! Gotta be this one!!" right till the end. I´ll show it to Olivia tomorrow, she will love it! And thanks so much for the mention! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, my dear! I am such a slacker about getting a post together that I end up with way too many photos to choose from. I'm afraid that I almost always have my camera either in my hand, around my neck or in my bag. We have pictures of everything! Is it possible to hoard digital photos? If so, then I have a problem. I'm really glad you enjoyed them. Hope Olivia did, too!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nuria! I kept having thoughts of what to say at each moment and then next thing I know I have a whole essay in my mind! Lol.

    I love that Finn loves the water! I remember Ray did not want anything to do with it; he's interested but totally afraid! All of his pictures near water are crying pictures! LOL!!!

    And Syd is so brave to wear a swimsuit on a cold cold day! Even though she cried, love the photos you caught!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You girls are way too kind. Thank you, Sharmaine! My other girls were much more afraid of the water than Finn is. I'm not sure that she's afraid of anything. It's so much fun to watch her enthusiasm, but it's a bit scary as well. She is half fish, for sure! I'll relax a little when she can swim.

      Delete
  3. What a great Spring season you have had! You have captured some AMAZING moments of your sweet girls! I love all your pictures you get of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Ashley! Nothing like what you'd be able to do with all of your professional gear and natural talent, but there's no chance that the girls won't have plenty of photos to show future generations. They are just so much fun to observe and shoot...I can't even help myself. I love your Blogger profile pic, by the way...I believe it changed, right?

      Delete