Saturday, March 10, 2012

Old Habits Die Hard

Wanted: 30 minutes to myself to accomplish something.  Nothing special.  Anything, really.  You are becoming incredibly aware of my presence...and lack thereof.  Isn't it a little early for this?  I really don't remember when all of this separation anxiety is supposed to start.  If I walk away from you, you cry like I'm never coming back.  It's really not necessary.


Just now we made cookies.  (Not just any cookies: homemade oatmeal cream pies!)  And you sat in your Bumbo seat the entire time, like my own personal, miniature baking assistant.  You watched every move I made.  I enjoyed the closeness then, but now I have a chicken to roast and I don't really want you sitting on the counter next to a raw chicken and sharp knife.  Call me crazy.


Hangin' on the lanai with mommy while I do some crafty stuff.


Lately we've fallen into some really bad habits.  Well, I guess it's a little unfair to blame you.  I suppose I have fallen into some bad habits.  Like holding you while you sleep.  And holding you too much, I suppose.  You were always really good about just hanging out wherever I put you.  So good that I kinda bragged about it.  I've gotta remember to stop bragging...it always finds a way to bite me in the rear.  Now, when I set you down, you look at me with those giant baby eyes of yours as if to question my motives.  Am I setting you down so we can play?  Or so I can escape?  If it's the latter, you burst into tears as soon as you see me turn my back.  Dude, Finn...sometimes I just have to pee...ya know?  Yeah, now that I read that back I can see that this is entirely my fault.  Perhaps if you weren't so cute...


See what I mean?


In cheerier news, it is feeling very "spring" here.  Spring in Florida just means it's a few degrees cooler than summer and the water is still too cool to swim in.  We play outside but stay in the shade.  We don't really open the sliding glass doors anymore unless we are trying to warm up the place (or rid the house of germs...read on).  Yesterday I gave you a bath outside.  It just seemed like the right thing to do.  We put your little pink tub on the patio and filled it with water and let you splash around a bit.  You seemed pretty intrigued by the whole thing.  As luck would have it, even though it had been a sunny, quiet morning, as soon as we stepped outdoors the neighbor's lawn crew showed up with mowers and blowers roaring and the sun disappeared behind the clouds.  It figures.  You enjoyed it anyway.  I'm pretty sure that's what you were saying with those squeals and gurgles.


Seriously...I crack up over this one.  Every time.


I was so inspired by the outdoor bath that I dressed in you a dress that belonged to me when I was a baby.  It is oh-so-spring, and I couldn't wait to see you in my "vintage" dress...how old do I feel that my baby clothes are considered "vintage"??  I propped you up in your usual spot (the front yard garden bench) and handed you a few baskets, plastic eggs and a fake bunny (one of Sydney's "fake" pets...I need to get that child a pet!).  I don't think you were as excited as me, but you still looked so fresh and spring-y!  And you hardly needed any help sitting on the bench.  Oh my.


Springtime cutie

Waiting for the Easter Bunny?


You liked that 70's polyester.


Just not the camera, so much.


Back to the germ topic, there is a stomach bug going around this house, I'm afraid.  Sydney has ended up bringing every germ that enters her kindergarten class into our home.  For a child who never got sick (and I mean never), she's been sick an awful lot in the last few months.  She has been having episodes of random vomiting (gross, I know).  The most recent one hit the side of my brand. new. sofa.  Luckily, after a good scrub, I can't tell where. She is on a modified diet that is about as appetizing as yours and she is not happy about it.  But she seems to be feeling better already, so hopefully the worst is behind us.  I sure do love that sister of yours.  She says that when she grows up she wants to be a veterinarian and work at a no-kill animal shelter.  Actually, she said "vegetarian"...but she meant veterinarian...although she may become a vegetarian, too.  She is an animal-lover to the core.  She also wants to be a ballet teacher on Mondays and Tuesdays.  She's going to be one busy girl!  Lately she's been rockin' a new "signature style" for school.  The school's unified dress code makes it hard for kids to be expressive through their clothes.  But the creative ones find a way.  Enter Sydney's slouchy socks (knee socks, scrunched down around her ankles):   


Pumped up kicks.

We have an eventful week coming up.  Kylee's birthday party is on Saturday, which also happens to be St. Patrick's Day.  St. Patty's doesn't usually call for much celebration around here, but I'll take any excuse to snag a few photos of my munchkin.  Besides, it's your very first one...and your name is so Irish-sounding...little Finnlee Shea.  This Friday is Sydney's Luau Read-a-Thon, and her day to bring snack.  Still trying to come up with something creative for that one.  And next week, a certain someone I know is turning 5 months old.  Wonder who that could be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment