Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lazy Days

I'd love to tell you that the reason I haven't posted on here in a week is because we have had a bustling social life, but the truth is we've been pretty low-key this week.  Oh, we've been plenty busy.  But busy doing mundane stuff.  The stuff you have to do, but it's not really worth talking about.  Doctor trips.  Grocery shopping.  Taking care of a sick sister (Kylee caught the mysterious fever that seems to be going around here).  And a little jaunt to the mechanic for an oil change.  Big whoop.  


We did manage to fit in a park visit last weekend.  Our beach plans fell through when we woke up to a chilly, grey Sunday morning.  Your dad knows me too well though, and he knew I was itching to be outside.  By the time the clouds had cleared, I was desperately making a picnic lunch in hopes that we'd find a way to make something happen.  I was starting to think we'd be settling for lunch on the back porch, but no- we threw everything in our picnic bag and headed to Lake Avalon.  It was beautiful for about an hour and a half.  Then it rained.  No complaints from me.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  


Sydney got to run around and burn off some energy.  


Kylee read in the fresh air.  


You basked in the sunlight.  

There isn't much that a good picnic lunch and some sunshine can't cure, if you ask me.


Our one somewhat interesting adventure this week was a jaunt to Goodwill.  In my head, I romanticize thrift and vintage shopping.  I picture myself sifting through dusty finds in a charming storefront, owned by an old couple who give me the back-story of everything that catches my eye.  I walk out with a lovely flower chandelier I intend to spraypaint and hang in your room, a vintage quilt that was obviously loved but still in great condition and some old childrens' books with beautiful illustrations that I will frame for your nursery.  I walk out spending about $10 for my new treasures.  Yeah...something like that.  The reality is our Goodwill is located in a strip mall (on the sketchy end of town, no less), with racks and racks of musty smelling clothes, shelves full of florist quality vases and televisions with rabbit ears.  I walk in and instantly feel overwhelmed and a little grossed out.  I've only been there once before, but it always seems to be the same.  Same junk, different day.  But if you are patient enough to scour through the 70's ashtrays and plastic flower arrangements, you can find some real treasures.  I was looking specifically for vintage stuff for your first birthday party.  Because I plan on a very sweet, vintage look (think doilies, lace, bunting, ruffles) for your party (Pinterest inspiration board), I can't exactly run out to Party City the week before your party to shop.  I have to start planning this now.  I was a little disappointed in the lack of "granny stuff" at our Goodwill, but did walk out with a few goodies.  I did spend $10 though...so that part of my vision came true.  We'll try again in a week or so.  


Our visit did result in one major score.  A new sofa.  There was a 60's/midcentury modern sofa right in the entrance of the store.  Brown tweed.  Clean lines.  Tufted, single cushion seat.  I was in love.  It was only $150, but I walked away.  Daddy knows that when I come home and can't stop talking about something that perhaps we should buy it to shut mommy up.  He went back this morning and luckily, it was still there.  Turns out it's a new sofa, just retro-styled, and was donated to Goodwill when the high-end furniture store in town closed.  Can you say score?!?  All of my reasons for not wanting to buy it disappeared.  So it will be coming to live in our house next week.  Most likely, it will become the only sofa you will remember having.  That seems strange to me because we've had our current furniture for over ten years.  But, it's time to say goodbye.  So exciting!  


I feel like you're growing so fast right now that if I stared at you long enough, I could actually see a visible change occur.  Every morning you look bigger.  Every day you're doing something new or a little different.  You've started laying on your back and grabbing at your toes.  The hair above your left ear is starting to wing out a bit, as if it may curl.  You are getting a little temper- making sure we all know when you'd rather not be put down or have your face wiped (I'm sure we can thank your dad for that one).  As promised, you had your first taste of solid food: avocado.  You've had it several times since then, too.  You are taking to it better than I expected, even smiling.  
Wearing a Yankees bib for dad. 

The play-by-play of events. 

Even your sisters got in on the act.


It's amazing to see you try new things for the first time ever.  I feel like you're flinging these changes at me, rapid-fire, daring me to keep up.  I don't want to miss a thing.  


I'm sad to see every newborn trace disappear, but I'm delighted to watch you learn and grow.  What an amazing Little you are.  What did we ever do before you came along?  Funny how life changes, and yet you are always exactly where you are meant to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment