Friday, June 15, 2012

So Big: Eight Months

8 Month Old Finnlee
Happy eight months, Baby Girl!  I don't know what it is about this age that sounds so old to me.  Somehow I am getting the feeling that your first birthday is practically tomorrow, and, well, I might as well be teaching you how to drive or something.  I don't know what happened to my sweet and tiny newborn, but somehow she's been replaced by an independent, opinionated, cuddly baby.





It seems like every time I turn around lately you've learned something new or are changing in some way.  Your crazy hair has grown long enough that you now wake up with bed-head.  


Good morning, Sunshine!  Why, no, your hair is not a mess.  Why do you ask?
Maybe someday people will stop asking if you're a girl or boy.  Silly people.


Until then, you'll be wearing ridiculously large flowers on your head quite frequently.
Somebody found your volume button and cranked it up, full-blast.  You've been yelling at the top of your lungs when things aren't going your way.  Like a screechy, drawn-out, cat-like yell.  Not my favorite sound of yours.  Now if only this person could find your pause button and slow down this growing process for me, all might be forgiven.  You've also most definitely been saying "ma-ma".  I'm not 100% convinced that you are aware that the word you are saying and my "name" are one and the same.  But we can work on the comprehension.  The sound is so sweet.


You've started dancing to music (a rhythmic rocking back and forth/bouncing...hey, at least you have rhythm).  And you've been busted more than once for trying to pull yourself up on tables already.  You're usually going after a no-no, like a phone charging cable.  


Sleep has been a battle lately.  Your night schedule is out of whack, waking me up hours before we need to be up.  And naps are few and far between or frightfully short.  I will be really happy when you finally sort out these sleep issues you are having.  


We've been going for swims in the pool and you are a big fan.  You naturally kick and even put your face under (not always with great results).   And your skin is bronzing in the sun, despite repeated applications of baby strength sunscreen.  You even have tan lines in the creases of the baby chub on your arms.  It's a little embarrassing to think that people might think I'm purposely tanning my baby.  I have a feeling you'll just be a brown-skinned child during the summer months, just like Kylee always was.  Your baths are now taking place in the "big kid tub", and you really like splashing in all of that extra water.


So you might be wondering: What exactly is Finnlee really enjoying right now?  Well, let's find out.


What Finnlee is Digging: 8 Months

  • Touch & Feel Books: We checked one out at the library and you have been crazy about the thing.  You grope it and scratch it and rub it.  It has many soft and shiny textures, but your favorite is the "scratchy" page.  So much so that I think you are very disappointed when I read you a regular book and there's nothing for you to claw at with those chubby fingers.
  • Your Wave.  And maybe more specifically, your hands: You didn't really go through the "hand discovery" phase that your sisters did.  I mean, you recognized them and started to use them obviously, but you didn't stare at them for hours on end like I told your sisters you someday would.  But for about two months now you've been waving to people in the funniest ways.  It keeps changing, but what stays constant is your fascination with wrapping your fingers around themselves in the process.  You study your hands intently to get them just right.  This "wave" of yours truly deserves its own post. Hmmm...
  • The Bird on Sprout's Sunny-Side-Up Show: I don't know this little guy's name, but if Sprout is on in our house, and you hear the squeaks of this bird co-host, you squeal and talk back to him like he's speaking your language.  Funny stuff.
  • Cantaloupe and Bananas: You cannot get enough of these foods.  Peas, not so much.  But we're working on it.
Summer vacation is upon us.  Your sisters have successfully graduated from high school (yay!), 6th grade & kindergarten.  Sydney's teacher threw the kids the cutest luau party as a farewell.  I am going to miss her so much.  You've had your first library visit and first movie, thanks to the $1 summer movies.  


Last Day of School


Sydney's dance recital was last week, and it was a huge success!  It's hard to believe that her third year of dance class is over.  She is a little veteran now.  I wonder if you will dance, too.  Or if you will do something completely different.  Sydney's a natural dancer.  She's been invited to be on the performance team for her age group for the past two years (although we haven't actually taken them up on it since it means a huge commitment and she's still so young).  I get so nervous before she performs.  My palms get sweaty and I feel anxious for her.  And then she hits the stage and is so confident and poised.  I don't know where she gets that from.  My kids amaze me every day!


Sydney, after dress rehearsal.
And on recital night.  I wish I had paid more attention...it was so dark!
I've skipped so much.  Blogger and I have been butting heads.  I should've realized that there was a limit to the amount of pictures it would host for free.  But I had no clue until it refused to upload more photos.  Not posting your pictures is not an option, so I have fixed it for now.  Maybe I'll catch up someday.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Finnlee , I really just want to say that YOU are so cute and that i have the same name as you ,Not many people have this name and my name is spelt exactly like yours. I live in New Zealand. I hope to hear from you,Good Bye have a nice life you cute , By the way im 13 years of age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Finnlee from New Zealand! I never thought we'd "meet" another Finnlee! Especially not with the same spelling. What a great name you have! Do you ever go by Finn? My Finnlee is just a little peanut right now, but someday she will be able to read this. What a cool message you've left for her. Finnlee has a sister close to your age (12 years old), and her name is Kylee (a name I believe is more common in your part of the world than ours), and another sister named Sydney (which I realize is in Australia, not New Zealand...but it's close!).

    It's nice to hear from another Finnlee...literally on the other side of the world! Feel free to check in on her as she grows up here anytime! Thanks for your sweet message!!

    ReplyDelete