Thursday, October 4, 2012

A {Cake} Smashing Good Time


Sunday was kind of a big deal for you.  You've never had anything sweet, aside from fruit.  You've certainly never had cake.  And you've also never really eaten anything that wasn't in bite-sized pieces already.  So, I figured a trial run with a birthday cake would give you (and me) some much needed practice.  It also gives me a good excuse chance to take some pictures.  So Sunday became "Cake Smash Day."  

Hey, Finn...you've got a little something on your chin.
First I drooled a bit over some of my favorite professional cake smash shoots and lamented that I do not have a studio, professional camera, hardwood floor or actual photography knowledge.  Then I came back down to earth and remembered that it was about capturing you, as you are, in this moment.  And that I can do.  So, I baked four tiny cakes in tin cans (instructions here: http://ohhappyday.com/2012/02/mini-cakes-diy/ ).  I layered and frosted them, proving to myself that I will need to practice a bit more before your actual birthday.  After picking out a little clearing in the backyard, a makeshift scene was set using some wacky supplies (rag bunting from Sydney's woodland party...why do I still have that?, a flattened cardboard box wrapped in faux bois wrapping paper from the dollar section in Target {aka: fake wood flooring}, an almost-complete gold foil "1" that I am making for your party, and a cake stand I made out of a spray-painted brass candlestick and a dollar store plate.)  It doesn't get much more DIY than that!

Staring in disbelief that we are going to let you touch this thing.

Touchdown!
The skies were threatening an all-out downpour, but there was no turning back.  Cake was frosted, baby bellies were naked, it was happening.  My favorite part was when we first set you down next to the cake.  You looked at it, wide-eyed and shook your head, wagged your finger and whispered "no-no" as you looked at us for reassurance.  It took several seconds of us promising it was okay and encouraging before you took a swipe at your tiny cake.  Chocolate with buttercream.  When you finally got a piece in your mouth, you shuddered and made a face.  If I'm being honest, you didn't exactly eat it.  You tasted it, sure.  But you weren't crazy about it.  You made a substantial mess.  Enough for a few priceless photos.  That was all I could ask for.  Let's just say I am glad there's no video of the slippery, angry bath that followed.

Not feeling it.
I've been spending my days making every last detail for your party.  I've let a few hints slip out on Instagram, but I haven't posted any here yet.  I must be crazy, planning an entirely homemade party for a one year old.  It is time consuming and sometimes a little stressful, but the result will be something that is a true labor of love.  Someday, when you look back at the pictures, hopefully you will see that I poured myself into this party because I can think of nothing more important on October 13th than to celebrate the first year of your bright, shining, miraculous life.  

I see a very sweet bath in your future.
You've been keeping yourself busy with some major baby skills.  You have learned to say Sydney (Nee-Nee) and Kylee (Ya-Ya).  Sometimes I have a hard time differentiating between "Sydney", "Night Night" and "Num Num" and even "No No".  They all sound a bit similar.  But once I guess "Sydney" and it's the right answer, you leave no doubt.  You kick and get so excited and start pointing in the last direction you saw her.  When you say "Kylee", you yell it at the top of your lungs.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the frequency with which I have to holler across the house in the morning so Kylee doesn't lose track of time and miss the bus (again).  You are also pretty sturdy on those legs now.  You have a lot of control getting up and down, but still only take a few steps at a time.  Which is just fine with me. 


We still have so much to do.  I plan on taking first birthday pictures this weekend.  If only we could get a little fall weather here.  But one thing at a time.  I probably would never finish your party decorations and favors.  We would be outdoors all day.  I'm trying not to fly through these days.  I want to take it in.  It's your first and last 1st Birthday.  I won't be throwing another of these parties.  Time to be a sponge and soak the last of this first year up.  There will be plenty of time to miss fall later.

2 comments:

  1. This is so much fun! I love the mess she made- and your DIY set up! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really concerned about the mess! She isn't used to anything like that at all. She didn't really like eating it, but mess-making is okay in her book apparently. That DIY setup was quite hodge-podge. I'm hopeful it doesn't show as much in pictures. The bunting was one I had made for Sydney's woodland party two years ago and for some reason I never tossed it. This must've been why!

      Delete