Saturday, May 18, 2013

19 Months & Counting


I had this great idea that I'd skip around a bit and just write about current events for a change.  You know, rather than what happened last month (so, so sorry about that).  But, of course, by now the "current events" aren't so current.  So I'm scrapping that idea.  


I can handle your love for touch screens so long as we take them outdoors.

You love this new trick.  And those are mosquito bites on your leg...still allergic.

Hunting for treasures.

Big girl.
I'm always torn between trying to write something meaningful and poignant to you or just a running list of what's been happening around here.  I'm afraid this is the latter.  I want to find beautiful words and descriptive phrases to try to express my feelings about our life right now.  I want to somehow capture the magic that is a one year old's life; full of wonder and adventure.  I want you to look back and think, "Wow, my mom sure described my childhood eloquently."  But there's only so many flowery words to use about potty training and park visits.  This place, for you, is half journal to document events and half memoir to record little anecdotes.  Someday I want you to be able to recall sights and events you couldn't possibly remember simply because you've read about them so many times.  For that reason, I hope you don't mind terribly when I'm simply cramming information into posts.  




Beach day with cousins and friends.

Oh, yeah...we're back!

Straight for the water.  Every time.

You were sand-obsessed.
That being said, here's a rundown of some things I never want to forget:

Your 19 Month Old Vocabulary

  • Deodorant = "Tickle" (obviously)
  • Camera = Smile, which you pronounce "Nigull"
  • Phone = "Hewwo"
  • Water = "Waduner"
  • Toothbrush = "Bruss"
  • Hair = "Ew"
  • Vacuum = "Noisy"
  • Bath = "Bapthfthphfth"
  • Pool = "Poo"
  • Swim = "Fimm"
  • All produce (bananas, oranges & strawberries are exceptions) = "Apple" (until corrected)
  • "What happened?" = "Happened?" (accompanied by a shoulder shrug)
  • Snuggle = "Nuggle"
  • I Love You = "I wuv woo"
  • Food = "Num-a-Num"
  • Backing up/Walking backwards = "Moonwalk" (thanks, Kylee)
Just to name a few.



It was super windy.

Tasting the saltwater after taking a wave to the face.

The things you love to do:

  • Go to the beach!  You love it all: sand, water, shells, waves.  
  • Put your face in the water in the pool. (and cough and gasp when it all goes wrong) You don't even mind the saltwater at the beach.
  • Take a walk.  And stop every five feet to examine the contents of the ground.
  • Take a bath.  Until it's hair-washing time. (which really confuses me considering your desire to stick your face in other bodies of water)
  • Read.  But mostly big girl books.  You are bored with board books.  Ha!
  • Laundry.  Seriously.  You love to be a "Helper!"
  • Ipad!  Now if only I could get you to stop deleting things and trying to order things.  Geez!
  • Getting ready.  You're great about picking out clothes, brushing your teeth and even having your hair done.  Strange, since your sisters still put up a fight.
  • Play with babydolls.  You are my first girl who truly loves "babies"!
  • Cook in your kitchen.  Preferably at the same time as me, or with me.
  • Climbing.  On everything, but specifically on the coffee table so you can sit in the hole in the center.
  • Slides.
  • Music.
  • Bubbles.
  • Crayons.
  • Rocks.
  • Raisins.
  • Cheese.
  • Ice cream.
  • Mickey Mouse.
  • Grocery carts shaped like racecars.
Post-beach pizza.  Nothing better than sandy, sunkissed kids eating pizza outside.

So good.  And right at the city dock.  Sometimes I love this place.

Lifelong buddies. 


Things you don't love:

  • Grocery shopping (despite the above mention of racecar carts)
  • Any other shopping cart.
  • Accessories.  Still no hats, bows or headbands for this girl.
  • Wearing shoes indoors or in the car.  It's like some crazy aversion you have.
  • Being told "no."  I'm talking complete meltdowns lately.  The only thing that works is to get right on your level, look into your eyes and almost whisper.  Works (almost) every time.
  • Having your hair washed.  You wouldn't believe how hard it is to keep a wet baby in the tub when she's scrambling to get out.
  • Taking turns.  To be fair, you can't possibly understand the concept.  But I get the feeling it may not be your strong suit anyway.
Cinco de Mayo in your Mexican dress.

I love that this tiny slide is high for you.

Letting your baby get in on the sliding fun.
 Fortunately the list of "loves" is longer than the list of "dislikes."  99% 97% (just being honest) of the time you are a charming, silly, exuberant child.  That makes up for the other 3%, easily.  You fill my days with fun.  You challenge me to find new experiences.  Thanks to your love of exploration, I have a constant running list in my head of places I'd like to visit and explore with you.  Sometimes it blows my mind that we haven't been to all of these places yet.  But the truth is that the day that I no longer have a checklist going in my head will be a sad day.  I love that you make me seek out beautiful scenery, interesting locales and out-of-the-way destinations.  I think it says a lot about your life and your future.  I'd love it if you always stay off the beaten path.  Explore, little one.


5 comments:

  1. Mama! That fifty is serving you well! Gorgeous, gorgeous images. The "Cinco de Mayo in your Mexican dress" stopped me dead in my scroll. LOVE her. Finn is going to love this little space in the internet one day. Have you thought about making it into a book for her? Or several volumes, rather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Ang. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I skipped a few weeks' worth of photos simply because I was so excited about the instant and obvious difference in photo quality with the 50. I'm in love with it! I really should make photo books. I have, from time to time, ordered a book for someone as a gift. I just haven't gotten around to doing any for me, with the exception of a blurb book of IG pics that I adore. Maybe that will be how I will fill my time when she starts school...*sniff*

      Delete
    2. i'm just the opposite-i need to make a blurb! there are so many IG pics that i adore!!
      Glad you are having fun with the fifty! i am definitely a prime lens girl-all the way!

      Delete
  2. As always I so enjoy looking at allll of your beautiful pics! Finn is absolutely adorably! I love reading all about her and how she is learning and growing! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Darlene! She's growing so fast. I'm really slacking on recording her firsts and milestones. It drives me crazy to forget so much already!!

      Delete