Friday, February 24, 2012

The Good Life

My favorite parenting advice I ever received was something I heard only recently.  "Sleep when the baby sleeps.  Eat when the baby eats.  Do housework when the baby does housework."  It was brought to mind today when we met a lovely little grandmother in the produce section of Publix.  She told me, in her adorable, lilting Scottish accent, to ignore the dust in my house and to soak up every minute of your tininess.  For a quick moment I panicked, thinking she had somehow seen our dusty house.  But once reason took over, I nodded politely in agreement.  The truth is, I don't actually need a reminder of this.  I am so completely absorbed in you that I didn't realize our family was in dire need of having their laundry washed until I ran out of jeans, shorts, you name it.  I was one day away from being pants-less.  


The one thing I could stand to be a little better about is taking more pictures.  I'm sure that most people who know me would laugh at that, but I've been slacking.  I've never left the house without my camera so much as I have this week.  You're changing every day, and while "soaking it all up" is fine and good for now, I will forget these uneventful days no matter how much I insist that I will remember.  I get so frustrated with myself when I show up at a playground with you girls and no camera in hand (like I did last week).  Or when you are giving me the cutest smile, looking up from your sling, and the camera is sitting at home.  To quote my current favorite song ("Good Life" by One Republic), "Hopelessly, I'm taking a mental picture of you now."  I am.  It's in there.  Every minute of it.  I remember it all.  Even if I forget someday that I remember it.  I want to be that mom that lugs her camera to Target to capture you raiding the shelves (someday).  That is my goal.  To be the crazy, camera-toting mom.  As if somehow documenting every minute of your babyhood will somehow prevent you from outgrowing these days when we are inseparable.  


The Good Life Personified: Sweet naps outdoors


They're right.  This really is the good life.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Not all of the money in the world.  My life is so complete and full right now.  It doesn't matter that my bank account isn't.  Or that in my imagination my house is perfectly decorated and spotlessly clean.  Or that not every moment of my parenting is perfect.  Or that not every word that comes out of our mouths is lovey-dovey.  There's no doubt in my mind that my girls know I love them with my whole heart.  I don't need anything more in life than the smile (and laughter...what's that about, huh?) you give me when I'm singing my heart out and dancing for you while folding your baby laundry.  The good life, indeed.


Well, hello there, Blue Eyes

 When you're happy like a fool, let it take you over.  (more lyrics)

Some of my very favorite moments in life have been times when I have struggled.  Looking back, those memories are so much sweeter because you take nothing for granted.  All of the good stuff is magnified.  And perhaps the memories are a little over exaggerated and things seem better in retrospect, but there is something so real about finding simple pleasures.  That is why I do these silly little "photo shoots" with you.  I could never afford all of the professional shoots I would want.  And I'd rather be behind the lens.  I may not know what I'm doing with this camera, but I do know what I'm doing with you.  And that's what I see when I look at these pictures.


When everything is out, you gotta take it in.  (last lyrics) 


You take my breath away.  Honestly, you do. 

In other news, you had your 4 month checkup this week.  You are up to 16lbs and 4oz!  That doesn't surprise me, but wow!  Almost double your birthweight!  We put together your highchair this week.  It had been sitting in the garage, looking all lonely in its box.  But now it is crowding our dining room, as it should be.  So far you've only sat in it and played with plastic chain links (you love the sound they make!).  But I've decided that tonight will be the night to try some food.  The family is having shrimp tacos (no, you're not getting a taco.  sorry.), and I'm slipping you some mashed avocado.  How exciting!  I'll be sure to get some pictures of that!

Hey, Finn...you've got a little somethin' right there.

So please tell me-e-e-eee what there is to complain about.  (Okay, so I lied.  Last lyrics from that song.  I promise.  Stopping now before I sing you the whole song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment