Thursday, January 19, 2012

Another Day, Another Photo Shoot

I swear you will grow up thinking you are famous and I'm the paparazzi.  You must know the lens of my camera as well as my face by now.  I look forward to all of the "photo ops" to come: sitting up, walking, playing, dancing...but that doesn't mean I want you to hurry.  I'm loving every minute of these days when you are a little lump of baby chub.  And you have plenty of chub!  The size of your chunky thighs is something to behold.  


I've been thinking that I should make note of some things I never want to forget.  It's sometimes hard to write to a 3 month old baby, but I think one day you'll want to know what the little things I noticed about you were.  Like the little pin-hole-sized dent in your right ear cartilage that almost looks like a piercing.  Or the small wrinkle in the skin on the opposite ear.  Or the freckle on the palm of your hand that is just too tiny to seem real.  I've tried to wash it off countless times.  I love the way you "yell" at me instead of crying.  And once, when you were especially mad at me, you went on a two-minute long rant of non-stop "venting" (changing the inflection of your voice without enunciating at all...I'm pretty sure you thought you sounded just like us because you looked very proud of yourself).  And then there's your "camera face."  You'll be smiling the most glorious smile.  Honestly, ear-to-ear stuff.  And then the camera comes out.  You instantly switch your expression to this inquisitive stare.  I can't get a good smile picture without being very deceptive.  Somehow we are going to make peace with this camera and learn to ignore it.  But that day was not yesterday.  I tried, to no avail, to get some decent pictures of you on Ashley's quilt after I washed it.  Beautiful quilt + beautiful baby should equal beautiful pictures, no?  Not really.  Beautiful, yes, because they were of you. But the natural, candid, spontaneous snapshots I envisioned were instead wide-eyed stares into the camera lens.  We'll just have to practice more.




I'm pretty sure this sums up how you feel about the camera most days.

No comments:

Post a Comment