Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's a Jungle Out There

It's 11PM and I'm curled up with you on the couch, breathing in the scent of your fuzzy hair and listening to the rhythm of your nursing.  You were sleeping so well that I probably shouldn't have picked you up when you started to stir.  It goes against all of those "mommy rules."  I should just let you put yourself back to sleep.  But then I wouldn't have your chubby hand pressed against my belly right now or be able to see the way your eyes twitch behind your sleepy eyelids.  And who makes up these rules anyway?


Today was a day of going from one zoo to another.  The first was a literal zoo.  Your first trip, in fact, but it won't be your last.  We are fortunate to live (very) close to the Naples Zoo (or "Jungle Larry's", as it was called when I was a kid).  The first Saturday of every month is a free admission day for county residents, and we believe whole-heartedly in taking advantage of that.  So I can promise you  many more Saturday mornings spent at the zoo.  As expected, you seemed rather unimpressed by your surroundings.  That may have even more to do with the fact that I kept the sunshade in front of your face most of the time than the fact that you're only 3 1/2 months old.  It's a tricky thing, trying to keep your precious skin safe from this Florida sun.  


I think I need to get you a bigger sun hat.

We had lunch overlooking Monkey Island, where we met a little girl who is about to have a little sister of her own in May.  She was very enamored with you.  She got a little "big sister practice" in by tickling your tiny toes with her cheeto-stained fingers.  Hey, that's what wet-wipes are for.  And it's not like you can get those toes anywhere near your mouth yet.  Sydney had an extra special time at the zoo.  She got to ride a camel and feed a giraffe.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  My animal-lovin' girl was in heaven.

Sydney's first camel ride

Hungry giraffe


The latter of the two zoos I mentioned was not an actual "zoo", per se, but the grocery store on Super Bowl weekend.  Remind me never to go to Publix the day before the big game again.  What a madhouse!  You'd think it was almost Thanksgiving or something!  Couple that with the fact that every five steps I take someone is stopping me to tell me how precious you look sleeping in your sling and it takes me an eternity to shop.  Don't get me wrong, I find it touching and even flattering that so many people take the time to pay a compliment to you or pass on some bit of wisdom (and they're right, you do look precious in your sling).  It's just that sometimes I have ice cream melting...ya know?  


Yeah, I guess I don't blame them.  You are pretty darn cute.


So tomorrow the Giants will be playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl and, being from New York, your daddy is pumped about it.  Luckily, you seem to be really into all of the color and movement that happens on the screen when football is on.  I'm not so sure you'll feel the same way about daddy yelling at the tv though.  We may need an exit strategy.  


I have a feeling that our beautiful days are numbered, and that it will soon be too hot to even sit near a window, let alone go outside.  I suddenly am thinking of all of the places I wanted to take you while the weather is nice.  All of the nature trails I wanted to walk on.  The little antique and second-hand district downtown I wanted to browse through.  That neighborhood with the shade trees that I've been meaning to grab a coffee and stroll through.  And the early morning beach walk I've been promising you since the day you were born.  So, put on your walking shoes, baby...mommy should have buns of steal by the time summer comes.
Spending every moment we can outside...

...chillin' on the sidewalk in the Bumbo seat.  Because that is how we roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment